Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The medicated life

When I first really had a clear understanding that I had Attention Deficit Disorder-Inattentive, I knew that it was usually treated with medication. Not an option I considered a good one. The thought of being addicted to something didn't sit well with me.

You here all the time about people being on long term meds and never being able to get off them. I didn't want to spend my adult years addicted to any kind of medication. Heck, I rarely took Tylenol or anything else. Not for any "reason" I just never needed it.

So, I made an appt with my Dr. to find out what she suggested. I was given a prescription of Adderall. My doc explained that I didn't need to take the entire pill and could break it in half. I decided I'd start with half a pill. Can't remember if it was 5mg or 10mg. I used only 1/2 a tablet for a couple of years. When I started working more hours or knew I was going to have a long night, I'd take the entire thing.

The first several times I took my 1/2 tab, I hated how I felt. I honestly felt like I was going 100 miles an hour! In a way, it felt like I was high. I decided that I'd take it for the rest of the week and if it didn't start to level out, I was going to stop taking it. Thankfully it only lasted those several days.

I'm getting to the point where 1/2 a tab isn't going to do much for me. That I don't like. I have a strong aversion to increasing my dosage. Back to the whole "dependency" thing. I have an appt this week to talk to my dr about starting the XR version.

I hate that by 4pm, I'm wiped out, crabby and have very little patience. I'm hoping that the XR will make me more of a pleasant person when my kids and I all make it home at the same time. I don't care for change and if this doesn't make a difference, then I'll go back to what I know.

What are your experiences with ADD meds? Have you had any negative reactions to taking it? How long have you been taking it? Do you ever not take it?

I don't take my meds when I have a day off. I know that my home would appreciate me taking it so that something would get done around here. Weekends I typically stay off of it. So, I'm definitely not an everyday users. I prefer that. It reminds me of 2 things:
  1. I'm not addicted and I can not take it if I don't feel like it
  2. That on the days I do take it, I notice the difference and know that it works for me

~Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment