Thursday, January 29, 2009

Memories: Few and Far Between with ADD

I realize that "experts" have said that to have ADD/ADHD you would show signs at a pretty young age. Well, what happens when you don't remember anything from, say age 7?

I have very few recollections before I was 12. My parents divorced when I was 6 and had a pretty rocky relationship the entire time. I guess it doesn't help when your dad is cheating on your mom.

I know they took me to counselors. I must've had issues! Ya think? I vaguely remember seeing one counselor and drifting off to la-la land. I remember seeing that same look/feeling come over my then 10-11yr old daughter when I took her to a counselor because she had a crappy attitude. Very little response to any direct questions and a pretty much zoned out look. Boy did that look seem familiar!

Do you know what it's like not to have memories and then the ones you do have aren't the greatest in the world? I remember being desperate for my parents to reconcile. I remember meeting my dad's girlfriend and her son (my soon-t0-be steps). I remember my mom being pregnant and having to go to the hospital. I think I remember standing outside the courtroom when my parents were getting their divorce.

I wonder if other people with Attention Deficit Disorder suffer from lack of memories. If so, when do they have "real" concrete memories? Personally, I'd love to have tons of memories from my childhood. Something to look back on and reflect. I have little to nothing. I wonder if my kids will be the same. At least my 15 yr old who has ADD, I wonder if she'll remember much of her childhood.

I already know she has a hard time remembering things. She's had some stability throughout her life. Much more than I ever had. So, she's got some things on her side I didn't.

What about you? What kind of memories do you have? How old are you with your most vivid at a young age? Is my memory loss exclusive to me?

~Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment