Monday, January 26, 2009

Why blog about Attention Deficit Disorder

I've been considering this idea for some time now. In fact, I came upstairs to create my blog last night and then the computer went nutty. If you are anything like me, when something pops into your head, it's usually at the wrong time.

I'll be on my way to work, going to sleep, on the phone, or who knows what else when I get inspired. Oh, my favorite place that I have nothing to write with but have brilliant ideas...the shower! In those other places I could at least write something down, if I thought of it at the time. In the shower I can only write on the fogged windows. So many great thoughts lost to steam.

I really don't know where I'm going to go with this blog. I think I'll just start talking about my everyday life of living with this disorder. Yes, my life, this isn't something that just showed up overnight or is "adult-onset". I know for a fact that I've wrestled with this insanity since I was around 12.

Of course, way back then this was only a blip on the medical radar. I don't remember anyone being treated for ADHD until my little brother started being treated for it. He was placed on Ritalin. Since I didn't live with him for his growing up years (I was already living on my own) I don't know what it was like for him growing up.

It wasn't until 4 yrs ago that I decided something had to change and was also in the process of having my 2nd child, my daughter, tested for ADD. Not surprising, she was in 7th grade when the ADD monster raised it's ugly head. When I saw what her symptoms were, I realized she was me all over again. I went to my doctor and she prescribed Adderall. I can't begin to tell you how different my life was.

In my next post I'll discuss my medication aversion, the decision to take medication, and what it was like to be on Adderall!

No comments:

Post a Comment