Friday, February 20, 2009

Attention Deficit Disorder Dangers

Do you ever forget that your curling iron is plugged in? Do you leave water boiling on the stove? Well, I definitely do those things. I think everyone does that on occasion. Unfortunately, I do that more than the average Joe. Unfortunately, my 15 yr old daughter is starting to do the same thing.

The other night I came upstairs to see her on the computer. I smelled something and realized it was a candle. She had left a candle burning, unattended in her bedroom! I went and blew it out and let her know that she left it burning. You know what her response was to me? "I've only been out here for 5 minutes."

How often do we do that? Make excuses? I only ran downstairs to switch the laundry, I was just grabbing something from the back seat, etc. We somehow believe that we're going to do something for only a moment, and get sidetracked for 10, 15, 20+ minutes. I left the house the other day with the curling iron plugged in "knowing" I'd be back in a few minutes.

I have to say I'm very concerned about our safety when it comes to Ber burning her candles. I'm glad she loves them and enjoys their ambiance. What worries me is her inattentiveness. What happens if she falls asleep with them burning. Yes, I say, "them," because she sometimes burns more than one at a time.

How do I find a safe balance of letting her enjoy the mood of her room and keeping our house from burning down? Unlike my curling iron that shuts off after 60 minutes, her candles will burn until they get to the bottom.

Maybe she should have to set a timer if she leaves her room with a candle burning. Even if she thinks she's "just" going to the bathroom. I suppose it's something I should do if I walk away from the stove if something's cooking. I should be an example to the child who is just like me!

Does anyone else try to balance their checkbook while they're driving? What do you walk away from or what do you do that could be a danger to yourself or others?

No comments:

Post a Comment