Friday, February 13, 2009

The Big Letdown with Adderall XR

Ok, so the honeymoon with Adderall XR is over. Took it, what, once last week? This week I took it twice and both times by 7-8pm I was crashing pretty hard. I wonder if how hard you crash is circumstantial.

The first day I took my meds, I believe we were home when the Adderall XR was wearing off. Nothing in particular was going on. Just living life.

The second day (Tues night) we were at a Cub Scout activity that started at 6:30pm and didn't end until 8:30pm! So, that's at least an hour after we should've eaten dinner and everyone there is crazy. By 8pm I was bored out of my gourd and getting tired. 8:30pm rolled around and it was time to go home.

Telling the boys to get their coats on, one heads to the bathroom and the other, well he just disappears. Can't find the coat of the one who heads to the bathroom & then about 5 min later, still can't find him. Finally find him back in the big room with his coat on!!! Thinking my older one has headed to the front doors, we head there. He's nowhere to be found! GRRRR I found him in a different room with a bunch of other boys playing tag. Guess who's seriously upset and I have to admit, a bit out of control. I yell at the boys to get in the car. How difficult can this be? It's late and I'm not thrilled having to go chase both of them around. About 5 min later I realize that I'm not being rational and that my meds are absolutely worn off. Bummed that I didn't recognize the situation before I yelled at the boys.

Along comes Thursday. I take my Adderall XR again. When the boys get home we get ready to head to my estranged husband's apartment to visit with Great Grandma (who's 94). We sit around while the boys and Gram put together a puzzle and then play numerous games of dominoes. Basically we're waiting for my 15 yr old to get done with work. I finally call her about 6:45pmm and she tells me she won't be done for at least an hour!! AN HOUR?! We haven't eaten dinner yet, my 9yr old has homework and both boys need a shower! UGH!!! On top of that, it means I have to come back into town. Geez! On the way home, I text my 17 yr old to ask her to put the lasagne back in the oven to warm up. She doesn't understand my text and we go back and forth until I call her as we're about to turn on our street.

Um, how long can lasagne stay out without going bad? She'd left it out for nearly an hour!!! Again...UGH! So, we get in the house, I put the boys on their homework, put the lasagne back in the stinkin' oven and am ranting the entire time! I realize my meds have worn off, but I tell you, it's not like this the nights I'm NOT on my meds. Is it just coincidence? I haven't figured it out yet. I know that I make a mountain out of a mole hill when I'm coming off my meds whether it's Adderall or Adderall XR.

So, my conclusion at this point is yes, the Adderall XR lasts longer, but the end of the day can have the same conclusion if I'm not home and relaxed! Bummer! I was hoping this med would be different! Not sure where to go from here. It certainly doesn't help the family dynamics when mom is being emotionally unreasonable. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment